What is the best way or ways to gradually intertwine social media formats such as Twitter, Facebook, and blogging sites into our classrooms? How can they be useful in the areas of Mathematics ?
Blogging the new Mathematics frontier
A blog creates a space for people to express themselves where as they may not want to express themselves verbally. I am experiencing those hesitations and fear of participation from some students currently. Many are afraid of speaking out in fear of being wrong or just not in " the mood" . The pandemic has strongly affected the way students interact with each other and the teacher. Using a blog can open more horizons for open discussion where a question van be posed by both teacher and student to create dialogues even outside the scheduled virtual classroom. I teach a wonderful clientele of high school students in a predominantly urban school district. The availability of digital and tech resources are a challenge for many families. Some students work in addition to attending school in order to contribute to the financial responsibilities that parents have to bear. Upon taking this course I did not know the reach and the positive effects that blogs and social media can have ...
How can technology be useful in mathematics. This is a good question. First thing is first, feed the problem in equation form into intergrating the sum or difference and usually the answer will pop up. Well I have seen it work out with the write calculations from time to time. Math is really a calculation class. I am pretty sure it can be reached in various areas of blogging, and social media but at the same time I am understanding your questions.
ReplyDeleteI will check out these questions. and hit you back on the blog.
Good questions.
As a student, I don't think I recognized the pervasiveness of math throughout all aspects of life. Math seemed like something that happened at school. Presenting students with a variety of technology resources that expose them to the vast dimensions and expressions of math can stimulate a new curiosity for math because sometimes the best way to understand issues is through a numerical lens.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments . I have been trying different approaches since the beginning of the school year and I want to be able to bring the best, creative, and hands on approach to all of my students. The learning curve however has been a long one for both sides ( Teacher and student)
DeleteHave you found students are willing to share their opinions on subject matter in both blogs and or Twitter Forums ?
ReplyDelete